Monday 9 February 2009

Free to the R to the U

In line with my aim to use this year out productively, I went to a FRU training session this weekend. I loved every minute of it, even when there seemed to be sleeping students all around the place because the last guy was labouring every point. I can't wait to finish the registering process (some test left to do - eek!) so I can get stuck in!
It was a bit weird being in a lecture theatre full of law students though. At first I assumed they would all be law zombies like they were at uni, but then I realised that they seemed to be pretty normal (as normal as law students get at least). So, I decided that this was either because they were decent people willing to give up their time to represent someone in a social security tribunal; or because the law zombies are losing their cult status now that the corporate world is in a mess and city law firms aren't so keen on harvesting souls as they were 12 months ago. It could be a bit of both... or it could be neither. I'm out of touch anyway, living as I do for the time being, in the non legal world of 9-5.30.
I really wanted to volunteer with FRU while I was at uni, but for some reason (I can't remember why) I was put off from applying. It had something to do with the wording of the email that was sent around the law department advertising it, and when I read it, it said "Common Law Girl Need Not Apply as she isn't in line for a first" or something like that.... so I didn't sign up. But I REALLY wanted to, and sulked when I realised that I didn't need a 1st, and in fact my friend who wasn't in line for a first either did sign up but now it was too late. But then again, the email hadn't said "friends of CLG shouldn't apply either" so that's probably why he wasn't put off. But wow, I was jealous! Thinking about it, I shouldn't have hesitated, but you live and learn.
Anyway, as it happens, I've signed up now, and it is even better timing, because I have a family member in need. Nothing makes you feel more grown up that being able to offer a member of your family some legal advice. (Well, I'm sure there are other things, like paying bills, or giving birth, but that's not the point). My Great-Uncle has had his Disability Living Allowance stopped after receiving it for over 10 years. His condition hasn't changed and he is confused and upset that its been taken away. Finally, I'll be able to put my legal knowledge to some use, and try and see if we can figure out what's going on and what can be done about it. Finally, I can do something to help.
Aside from the usefulness of being able to help a loved one, I am so eager to be able to go and volunteer and help people with their cases and put my degree to some good use already!
Best of all, my boss is really supportive of the whole thing, because it ties really well into the work that I do. The company I work for run programmes to help people get off benefits and into sustainable employment, so learning more about the ins and outs of the social security system is practically career development from her perspective. Plus, she's just a lovely woman who is supportive of everything anyway.
So the point is, FRU is brilliant and I can't wait. Plus one of the speakers was absolutely gorgeous! He used to be a GP and is now a pupil, and was so so attractive that I think my non lawyer friends would have enjoyed his talk on medical evidence as well.
I was so inspired I had the energy for a 6 hour long rave in Bristol on Saturday night. Bristol is amazing, and if anyone ever goes there, or indeed lives there, check out Mr Wolfe's.
All in all, a day well spent :)

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the test, if you can read a statute you'll be fine. I did mine late last year and have my induction on the 23rd March, after which I can take cases. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as that, and can get cracking soon.

    P.S. Know what you mean about the registration, the person next to me fell asleep and it was a struggle not to follow suit at times. But then the GP turned up and started throwing some baked goods around, which livened things up. Going to remember that if I ever do Barristers for Schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :)

    Due to sit the test next week, and I'll try and get the office induction asap! I'm really keen to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get started either! Actual real-life advocacy experience, you can't get better than that. If you haven't posted on induction by the time I've done mine I will drop you a comment and share any useful insights.

    ReplyDelete