Saturday 23 May 2009

Pre-BVC jitters

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about the whole juggling full time work and part time BVC studies thing. Work has suddenly got wickedly busy over the past few weeks, and I can't see any sign of it slowing down. The funny thing about that is that a few weeks ago I seemed to have absolutely nothing to do and was pretty miserable due to the lack of purpose in my working existence. Now all of a sudden I'm working none stop. Last week I was in the office till 10.30 3 nights in a row, and so I was meant to be taking yesterday off, to have a lovely long bank holiday weekend. However, my work load had other plans, and instead of having an extra day off, I will be spending the whole weekend working on a document that needs to be submitted on Tuesday. Grrr.

I am a workaholic, always have been, but I'm getting very jittery about this situation. My mind is so clear about how hard I intend to work for the BVC, how hard I will need to work to get by in fact, and I'm worried I wont have the time to do it all. I don't think it is the amount of work that is worrying me too much, or even the amount of time it will all take up. I am only able to cope with a task if it requires a feat of epic proportions to get it done. Easy stuff, like packing a bag the night before I go away somewhere rather than 10 minutes before my train leaves, that stuff I can't do. But I've been pretty confident (till now) that I would be able to handle the BVC and my job, no matter how much work I have on. The reason I'm panicking though is that there is something I didn't factor in. Other people.

I am a control freak and a half. I am seriously bossy, and plan for things to go wrong way in advance, so that if they do, there is already a plan B (and C and D) in place. Figuring out my workload, and managing my time next year should in theory come naturally to me. Plus there's the fact that I've been juggling stupid amounts of work with jobs and rehearsals and partying since I was 16, and frankly, when I don't have too much to do, I fall apart a little. BUT there is the small matter of my work colleagues. They are wonderful people, and apparently they're experts in the industry and worth every penny of their inflated salaries. However, they openly acknowledge that forward planning is not their strong suit. Instead, they seem to float along hoping that everything will get done on time, which is code for put in loads and loads of hours of work at the very last moments before a deadline. Half of the time they leave me to manage myself, which works well allowing me to pace myself and ensure everything is ready on time without having to work late, but then they will spring something on me, that is far more important than whatever it is I'm currently working on , that they've been sitting on for a while and due in tomorrow. (Or Tuesday in this case). I don't mind that so much (even though I was sooo looking forwards to a nice relaxing bank holiday) and to be fair, it sounds like life as a Barrister isn't all that different, but I just don't know how I'm going to cope with it when I have studying to do!

Still, it will be something to bore my children with one day when they complain about their pocket money and I tell them to GET A JOB like I had to. Wow, I'm turning into my mother... also, is it healthy to be planning stories to bully my children with at least 10 years in advance of me actually having any?? Fun times!

8 comments:

  1. CLG - I wish that I could say that BVC is a breeze, but alas it is front loaded and pretty intensive to begin with. All I can say is that it does get better and it is a matter of sticking with it and ploughing on regardless. I seem to think that Legal Research is being dropped for next year, that will make a huge difference as it is/was a very time consuming module (particularly at BPP where the assessment required 40+ pages).

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLG

    You will be fine, it is a lot of work - but it probably equates to the amount of time you will have to put in at the early years in the bar so its good practice. With work you just have to put your foot down and work resonable hours.

    If your at City I think thats probably easierto manage than the weekend courses - as the thought of having no break for 12 days every three weeks put me off BPP / COL - although its tiring doing 8 am till 9 or 10 pm "working" twice a week.

    As BM said the LR is the hardest work wise - if you are doing all the practice attempts.

    I have to say i am fu*cking knackered - but I have been at it for 6 years as I did a p/T law degree before the BVC, but I worked full time the whole way, and also did quite a bit of pro bono, mooting and debating - I still had a social life though, and added to this for example you can take your mates dining etc - it all fits in - you just have to tell yourself its short term in the grand scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! (Ginge you are a lady right?)
    The nerves aren't going to go away until I start the course and know what I'm up against, until then I have no control over it! But it's nice to know there are people out there that have done it before, and are proof that it's possible :)

    Ginge, I chose BPP... But realistically, given that some evenings I do have to work late, I don't think City would have worked for me. Weekends are much more sacred at the office than evenings are.

    But you're right, it is short term and will be (hopefuly) well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CLG, good luck, but I woould be concerned that you have picked the wrong provider for you. The weekend route does have superficial appeal but none of BPP's students seem enamoured. It is, apart from anything else, a whole weekend used up for only around 6 hours of classes. The week day evening City route, in comparison, means not only more class time but less wasted time. And one thing that part time students cannot afford is wasted time. You might want to look at switching over to City. It would not be too late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi BS, thanks for your comment, but I really don't think City is for me. Thanks for the advice, did make me stop and think for a bit, but I actively want to go to BPP. From what I've heard, everyone is negative about whichever provider they've experienced, but Barristers I've spoken to seem to be in agreement at least that while all the schools are generally crap, BPP seems to be the best of a bad bunch. Thanks to reading the blogs of ppl at BPP I at least am under no illusions about how wonderful it is going to be. I know myself though, and I know that I wouldn't be able to cope with 2 evenings a week, every week, especially when there's a deadline at work. Plus City is more expensive! It remains to be seen whether I'll cope with the weekend system of course, but I can at least be sure that I wont be needed in the office when I'm there. That really is the main thing for me, because if I lost my job I would be ruined :s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey CLG,

    I can't really comment much on the working/studying balance, since I've always studied full-time, so I'll just say Good luck!

    I think that if I had a choice between an evening or weekend BVC, I'd probably chose weekends too. Personally, my brain switches off after work, so I don't know how can anyone be productive in the evenings on such an intensive course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya CLG,

    You will be FINE. The key is organisation, and a little bit of discipline; there will be times when you are tempted to set fire to all the work you have, or bog off for an evening elsewhere - but is this any different to the way you may have felt as an undergrad?. The key is to keep your eyes on the prize. If you can do that, then the course is yours for the taking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi CLG,

    Welcome and don't fret about the BVC. Yes, it is hard work, yes it is rewarding, yes, it is EXPENSIVE, yes it is challenging but the question you have to ask yourself is "do you really want to be a barrister?" If the answer is yes as you are willing to put up with an uphill struggle, I'd say go for it. Where there is a will, there is a way. Good luck Proper Brummie! BG

    ReplyDelete